Christmas Cupcakes are a complete joy, whether you give or receive them, there are so many ideas and ways to make a cupcake that will look and taste good t at the same time. We will make cupcakes which will be remembered till the next season and be liked by all; they are a treat for all in the family and taste good apart from looking good.
The cupcakes started in the 19th century in the United States, they saved lot of time in kitchen and were called cupcakes because they were either mad in cups, or cups were used to measure their ingredients. They used to be called number cakes as it was easy to remember their recipes by the number of cups, one cup flour, one cup milk, and so on. Now, they come in many varieties, shapes and ingredients.
They are easy to cook as compared to the large cakes and can be cooked quickly. People later also started making cakes in tins like they made muffins. Since the time they are being made, they have become a trend and been produced in many bakeries. The classic flavors are vanilla and chocolate; they are also made in classic flavors and the fancy ones like espresso fudge and raspberry meringue. Cupcakes are made in every household today and the recipes can be found in magazines, blogs and cookbooks.
Christmas cupcakes recipes
Christmas is not complete without nice cupcake recipes, the recipe may look complicated but is easy to make as long as the ingredients have been weighed well and are in line before you start preparing the cakes. Unlike the cakes, the cup cakes are not time-consuming recipes and do not have to be fed with brandy at regular intervals. They do not take much time to be ready and are liked most as a quick snack during the Christmas season.
Fairy Cakes, Snow Capped
What you need to make them:
- 175 gm butter
- 175 gm of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200 gm flour
- One Finely grated orange zest
- Vanilla Extract, 1 tablespoon
- 4 tablespoon of milk
The icing will need:
- 1 egg white
- 4 tablespoon of orange juice
- 175 gm of icing sugar
- Silver balls and fruit jellies for decoration
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven at 190 degrees F keep 18 holes of 2 x 12 bun tins along with cases of paper cakes. Melt the butter and cool it for 5 minutes. Put in a large bowl along with the other cake ingredients; beat all this for 2 mins till it becomes smooth.
- Put the cake mixture in the cake cases one by one, fill only three-quarters each. Bake this for 15-20 mins till they become light brown in color and are firm when touched. Cool these cakes.
- For the icing, mix the orange juice and egg white in bowl which should be heatproof. Add the icing sugar and heat over pan containing simmering water. With an electric hand whisk, beat the icing for close to 7 mins and it will become glossy. Remove from heat now and again whisk for 2-3 minutes till it is slightly cooled.
- Slice the fruit jellies, spoon icing on each of the cakes and decorate with the jelly fruit slices and silver balls. Leave them to set and serve hot or cold.
Christmas cupcakes ideas
Ideas are very important when it comes to the cupcakes because they have to be showing something related with Christmas like a Christmas tree, the Christmas decoration, a bell, the snowman or a cake itself. Following are some great ideas to make cupcakes:
- A scene for holiday table, cupcakes can be crowned with branches which can be snow-dusted; birds can be made on the tree to beautify the cake.
- A holiday cupcake, it has a cookie topper made like a tree. Colorful lights can also be shown along with cool snowflake and the cupcake can be in two colors, green and red.
- We can show cookies which are green and leafy, cookies can be of red color and the leaves green, over white frosted cupcakes. They are sure holidays treat.
- Icing Decorations and Cake Sparkles can create a winter scene on the Snowdrift Cupcakes which light blue sparkling decoration.
- Penguins are another decoration idea and a cupcake design; the cute character can have a cookie head and sure is attractive for the kids.
- The Santa also makes for a great idea; Santa is all red with a big belly. This cupcake is generously iced and has a Santa cookie. H also has arms that hardly reach his belly.
- The cupcake can be made deliciously and over it, the color blue calls for a perfect winter party look. The cake can be made light blue in color and covered with white leaves like the pine tree leaves.
- It is always great idea to place the candies over the cupcake to make it look decorated. Green and red candies in shape of a smile are just perfect.
Easy Christmas cupcakes
Although the Christmas break is long and you have time to make any recipe, still you may want to save time and make some cupcakes quickly. We have a recipe for you which is easy to make and tastes delicious. The ingredients are:
- 125 gm of butter
- 100 gm of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. of orange rind, grated
- 2 eggs
- 500 gm dried and mixed fruit
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup orange juice, fresh
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup mixed spice
- 250 gm of white Icing
- 10 drops of green food coloring agent
- Nestle smarties, 40 in number
Following are the steps to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees and line 12 muffin pans which have cases. Take an electric beater and beat the sugar, butter and the orange rind together in a bowl until the mixture becomes creamy and pale. Add eggs, beat well after add one at a time.
- Mix the walnuts, orange juice and dried fruit. Mix the flour and the mixed spice; keep them in the pans which should be lined and having smooth surfaces.
- Bake the cakes for 30 mins time and see that the cupcakes become firm when you touch them. Set them aside for some 5 minutes and cool them down.
- Make the mixture for icing as per the directions on the pack. Roll this out on baking paper and it should be 3mm thick. Use a pastry cutter and cut into 12 discs. Place the icing on the cupcakes.
- Take the leftover icing, flatten it and add the food coloring agent, knead the mixture well and make 24 small diamond shapes using a knife. Arrange this lining on the cupcakes in form of leaves. Roll some icing in small balls and use it to attach the Smarties with the cupcakes, they will look like berries when placed along with the diamond shaped leaves.
Cupcakes are ready to be served and were easy to make; the only part that took some time was the decoration, which surely will interest you.
Decorating Christmas cupcakes
The cupcakes are not complete until they are decorated. There are many ideas to decorate cupcakes and you can use more than one idea to decorate them. Decorating the cupcakes can be really fun in case you have some innovative techniques. You have to be sure about choosing the right kind of icing and make some great fillings with candies which make the cupcakes look awesome. Some of the ideas are:
- The cupcake decoration bag should be properly filled. You can use the bag to make some perfect decorations over the cupcakes.
- Your cupcakes can be unique with the best of icing, different icings like Buttercream, Decorator Chocolate, Fluffy and Boiled Icing, Rolled Fondant are some of the examples.
- The right color has to be chosen to setup a theme for your own cupcake; it can be the green and red theme, the pink and blue theme or maybe the colored with white theme.
- You can also decorate the cupcakes using buttercream, gum paste, candy or royal icing.
- You can also add some jam on the top of the icing and make your cupcake look good.
- The basic caramel can also work wonders; they are a good garnish for the cupcake, of course over the icing.
- You can even make the cat cookies; they can be the hello kitty ones with 2 candies for the eyes, one for the nose and some chocolate sauce used for the moustaches. The kitty can have one pink bow in the corner and all this comes without the icing.
- Take 1 cup of brown sugar, 5 tablespoons of butter, unsalted and make the caramel icing. Cut the above mixture in to chunks and add ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ cup of milk, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and one cup of sugar. This can make for the caramel icing, an all-time favorite.
Whatever ideas you may follow, the cupcakes should be yummy which can be possible with a nice batter prepared and right time taken to cook the cakes.